We encourage all of our 4-H Families who are involved in the Poultry project to come to an information session this Wednesday, June 10th at 7:00pm. The meeting will be held at the Extension Office. We will be going over the new procedures for the 2015 Jackson County Fair.
Please do not wear boots or clothing to the meeting that you have worn while doing chores. As always, please follow proper biosecurity practices to maintain the health of your flock:
- Washing and disinfecting hands, boots, gear and equipment when going from one coop to another.
- Not sharing equipment with other farmers or between coops.
- Washing and disinfecting equipment between uses.
- Providing birds with well water or municipal water – not surface water – to drink.
- Keeping poultry feed secure so that there is no contact between feed or feed ingredients and wild birds or rodents.
- Preventing contact between wild and domestic birds.
- Separating birds that show any sign of illness and caring for them only after caring for healthy birds.
- Wearing only clean clothing and footwear that has not been worn in a home coop at public venues such as fairs or into other producers’ facilities.